Friday, December 17, 2010

little lamis.

One of my best friends, Dustin, and I, sponsor a little girl from Lebanon.

Name: Lamis
Age: 2
Born: April 24th. (That is two days after my birthday and two days before Dustin's. And yes, that is mostly why we picked little Lamis. We like to think of it as a divine appointment.)
Interests: Play with her toys. Helps at home by being good. (That is my girl!)

A few days ago, Lamis sent us a letter! Of course, she didn't actually write it because she is only two, but her writer said this. "Her parent very happy to have a friend for Lamis from a far country."

I got chills after reading this. It is so easy to make my monthly donation and go on with my life here that I forget what I am actually doing. Little Lamis now has two friends from a far country and I, myself, have a new friend from a far country. It can't get much better than that.

It is my dream and goal to continue supporting Lamis until she can support herself. It will probably be another 16 years that I get the opportunity to build a foundation for this little girl. 16 years is a LONG time and I can't wait to continue receiving letters from Lamis as she grows and have the chance to be a part of her life.

It is also my dream to visit her in Lebanon one day. But...there's a BUT. I don't keep up on my international news much, but Lebanon is not a safe place to go, especially if you are a Christian. The Christians and the other religious practices do not get along. I heard that one of the head guys at World Vision traveled to Lebanon and returned home, unexpectedly, very late. He was kidnapped and put into jail. So, this dream may have to wait a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment