Monday, January 9, 2012

What I have learned in the place where I live...

I moved to Rosedale this past summer after growing up in beautiful, eclectic, and unique downtown Bakersfield (laugh away at my adjectives you non-Bakersfield readers), and what I have learned has been astonishing. As I sit in my bed writing this, my education about this west part of town has been increasing...at this very moment.

Facts about Rosedale:

1. It is true. Everyone drives a mini-van.

2. Police officers live at every other house. There are two police cars parked at the entrance of my neighborhood and I laugh every time I drive by there; the cars are never gone. Do the cops even work?

3. There are dogs and cats absolutely everywhere. They bark. They meow. They sit at your doorstep. They try and enter your house. They run through your backyard. They get hit by cars. They chase. They growl. They trip their owners while on a walk (sad to witness that one).

4. There are solicitors that come by ALL THE TIME. While on a run one day, I saw a sign taped on someone's door that read, "No Soliciting." It made me laugh. Who would tape that tacky piece of paper on their door? But then I learned....now I don't blame them! It seems like every other day, a new group comes by, either offering bibles or the perfect stain remover to get that black stain behind me out of the carpet.

5. It feels like it's SO far away from the rest of the world. Maybe times are changing, but if I ever want to drive to "town" I want to pack a suitcase just in case I don't make it home that night.

6. Most people who live in these houses are the typical American family...2.5 children, 1 dog, a mini van, soccer games every Saturday, on and on. Not that I am ragging on the American family, but where is the diversity?

7. Christmas decorations are out of this world.

8. The fog is pretty thick.

9. Every other house is the exact same. I would say there's no character here, but that may be offensive.

With all that said, Rosedale is not my favorite place; I would prefer living somewhere else. But on the flip side, I live conveniently close to work (as close as you can get at least) and I live with some sweet, fun, caring, and joyful roommates who always do the dishes.





No comments:

Post a Comment