Friday, March 26, 2010

these past 8 weeks...

...have gone by way too fast.

I was a student teacher to the best class of 22 1st and 2nd grade students who I love so so much. They made it worth my alarm going off at 5:45am every morning. I knew that as soon as I got to school, my desire to go straight back to bed would disappear. Every morning it did.

I worked at Pendleton Elementary.
Demographics:
-98% on free lunch
-30% considered homeless
-Most students live in surrounding hotels
-Most students have gone through more than the average human being goes through in a life time
-Many behavioral problems
-Many students come and go following whatever their parents "feel like doing"
-Many sad, sad stories

I experienced a lot while I was there. Just today, two boys were suspended on the account of swinging the door to my classroom open and throwing wood chips into it. Oh, and graffitiing all over the bathroom walls. One day, pot was brought to school. One day, students set the trash can in the bathroom on fire. That happened more than once. I could go on and on, but I won't.

My class was a little different though. We hardly had any behavioral problems, just many sad stories of places where these kids come from. But they always smiled. Some days were tough. Some days students showed their fears. But I always saw them smile.

In turn, they made me smile every single day I greeted them at the door. They were excited to be at school. The 8 weeks flew by and when today came, I couldn't hold back my tears. Pendleton became my home and when I was finally getting settled, Biola moves me to another school. My students knew I was leaving and would come in every morning telling me how many days I had left. They would always tell me to stay forever and become their teacher. I told them if they wanted, they could come to 4th grade with me. They all agreed and planned out our entire agenda for this upcoming week.

Saying goodbye was hard. I knew I would be sad when the day came, but I didn't think this place would mean so much to me. This placement has opened my eyes to a lot of the darkness in our world. It's been good. I've seen the bigger picture of life. I've become more selfless. I've learned to love a whole lot more. I've been confirmed that teaching is what I am supposed to be doing with my life. It's been good.


Kirstin, Freddie, Stephaney



Annie Bananie & Lilly Ann



All of us!





Ms. Sherman and I..learned a lot from this lady!


Next plan of attack. 4th graders.

2 comments:

  1. You are great. Reading this, I can't help but think of when you started and how worried you were. Watching you go through this process these past few weeks has been really cool. It totally shows who you are and who God is. I'm proud of you, keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. Thank you for posting this...It made my heart long for teaching and remember why I love it so. I'm proud of you and I am SO excited to see where the Lord takes you to fulfill your heart's desire... Soooooo about this school we are starting...

    ReplyDelete